Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2/9/2011

 Describe 2 ideas that were brought up in the Article #2 discussions.  How can you relate this information to your professional life?
  • Be ready with collaboration ideas for your teachers and students.  Try http://typewith.me/ .  Guide your teachers in the use of technology.
  • I liked Megan's comments about the administration being model users of technology.  It is important for the leaders to lead the movement...walk the walk.
  • The two sites for information literacy from my article: The Media Literacy Clearinghouse (http://www.frankwbaker.com/) and Common Sense Media (http://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators) .

Describe 2 highlights that caught your attention in our readings for this week.  Why was it significant for you?
  • "We need to know how to teach our students to select and evaluate the best information to answer their needs".(18) We keep talking about this issue at our District Technology Meeting.  The kids need to know how to develop a topic from start to finish.  The Big 6 is designed to help with this process.  Keeping in mind the second article I did for my review, we still need to be able to connect the process with appropriate digital citizenship.  They go hand in hand.
  • "Your job is to teach your students how to find the answers for themselves, and teach them so well that they will choose to go on finding their own answers."(16) This is all about creating lifelong learners.  This is every educators job!  It needs to be part of the school community.

How is the Internet Log coming?  Questions/concerns?
  • The Internet Log is going well.  I have all the sites picked.  I am currently writing a description for each site.

Library Visit Questions?
  • This is completed.  But, I would like to go visit the high school libraries to see what they have and how it is arranged and used.

Questions about your Online Database Presentation or your Library Lesson?
  • I have begun planning these.  Right now I don't have any questions.
(Louis Question) – How has our class and this week’s activities effected you in your professional life?  Discuss two things that you have learned about this week.
  • I need to be ready to offer suggestions when teachers approach me about technology.  I don't want to turn anyone away.
  • Creating a digital newsletter is a fantastic idea.  It is not forceful, just a reminder of what is out there.  It is another way to offer help to teachers.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing type with me. I think I'll give this a try in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We need to know how to teach our students to select and evaluate the best information to answer their needs".(18) This stuck with me as well. This is going to be one of those skills that students will use for the rest of their lives. It's something that my district can sometimes struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sites, Jenny. These will be very useful! I think you will find that a digital newsletter will be very helpful. I found that teachers would keep these and would refer back to them long after I sent them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading over your blog, I just remember the digital newsletter that was mentioned in class. I think it is a great idea as well. Many teachers feel overloaded but a brief email with pertinent information would be welcomed.

    ReplyDelete