Wednesday, January 26, 2011

1/26/11

Describe 2 ideas that were brought up in the Article #1 discussions. How can you relate this information to your professional life?
  • Dan shared a really good idea about partnering up with your public library and using them as a resource for your students and teachers. This is something I will be looking into.
  • Kari shared an article that discussed cuts in PASCAL (like BadgerLink). The funding was reduced by 90%. The resource was not promoted enough. This just reinforces the idea that we need to promote BadgerLink so that it doesn't go away.
Reflect on “Digital Footprints”. How is this being addressed in your school and who is presenting this?
  • If you use technology, you leave digital footprints. The "footprints" are evidence of where you have been and what you have done. (internet, credit cards, cell phone, etc.)
  • We give out pamphlets to parents about proper internet use. I have mentioned "digital footprints" to the students. I know our information media teachers address it in their class through discussion. I have heard our principal talk about it at grade level meetings, but she didn't call it digital footprinting.
  • This is something that needs to be addressed over and over again with the students. Unfortunately, they never think anything bad will happen to them. I am not sure how to make them understand the issue.
How are you doing on your Internet Log? Questions?
  • Internet Log is going well. I am working with the 7th grade science teachers on their planetary unit. Just about done finding the sites.
Have you selected a library to visit yet? Have you visited?
  • I am going to visit the West Allis Public Library. I have not visited yet. I want to call ahead and let them know.
(Louis Question) How has our class and this week’s activities effected you in your professional life? Discuss two things that you have learned about this week.
  • The discussion with Dennis and Chris about the Wauwatosa librarians losing their jobs really does reinforce the idea that librarians have to promote what they do. We need to work with the staff and the students and be seen as "useful".
  • I need to work at making my library more user friendly. Signage and "how to..." sheets for the patrons need to be made. If I am not available, or students are afraid to ask, then there is a way for them to find out the information.

2 comments:

  1. I think its nice that your principal is willing to talk to the parents and students at the grade level meetings. I would like to have our school do that at the beginning of each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that we must promote Badgerlink more to our patrons -- staff, students and parents -- or I'm afraid that it will go away. And along with promoting resources like this, we need to constantly promote ourselves and the library. Unfortunately, Wauwatosa has fallen victim to budget cuts. We don't want to see any more of that. I'm also glad to hear that WAWM and FLW are talking about "Digital Footprints' and their significance. As you said, kids never thing anything will happen to them....until something does happen.

    ReplyDelete