Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2-23-11

Describe 2 highlights that caught your attention in our readings or discussions for this week. Why was it significant for you?
  • pg 95 - " A good school librarian notices and even anticipates where students and teachers might need help using the library, and then prepares resources to help them." The advantages of having these resources are that they save time in the long run and help the library become more accessible to its patrons. Caution: the resources are not a substitute for a librarian.
  • pg 97 - How do you pick a topic for a user guide? It seems like such a simple question. But, it can also be overwhelming to determine where to start. The simple answer is...pay attention to the questions that your patrons ask the most. It seems like a very logical place to begin. The most asked question I have been getting is, "How do you place a book on hold?" Even though I went through this with the kids, they forget the information unless they have a use for it. So, I created a step by step guide that is located next to the patron catalog computers.
What do you think about the Big 6?
  • The Big 6 is a very useful way to approach research. My district requires the 8th grade teachers to complete a Big 6 project. Now many of the elementary schools are also learning about it and incorporating it into their curriculum.
Are you pretty comfortable doing a Reference Interview?
  • Getting better with practice. So far (I feel) I have been pretty successful.
How is the Internet Log coming? Questions/concerns?
  • Almost done. I just have four more sites to write descriptions for.
Questions about your Online Database Presentation or your Library Lesson? What is your topic?
  • I am going to do Kids Search on BadgerLink. I already have begun working on it.
(Louis Question) – How has our class and this week’s activities effected you in your professional life? Discuss two things that you have learned about this week.
  • Know the standards. They will help you defend what you are teaching the students.
  • It is extremely important that I find out what the elementary teachers are teaching for their technology curriculum and what the high school teachers expect the kids to know by the time they get there. I think the scope and sequence tends to get lost in the middle school because there isn't just one person responsible for technology education. Also, I need to push for teachers to use technology with their students so that they all have experiences with technology.

Internet Log link - 7th grade science - planets

4 comments:

  1. Your statement about knowing the standards is so important. With not being in a school for a number of years I feellike I've somewhat lost my knowledge of the standards. It's good to get back into the standards. It's so important to know why you are teaching the things that you are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you stated library guides and bibliographies are not a substitute for librarians. I know that in my district many elementary schools are eliminating their LMS positions due to budget cuts. I am scared that their resources are just going to sit there un-used. I have seen this first hand as I used to work in a school that did not have a librarian. No technology or piece of paper can do what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the first quote you picked out from the reading. Paying attention to the questions and needs of your patrons is critical. When we first are new on the job, we feel like we are very reactive (and we are), but as you spend more time on the job, you'll become more and more proactive and will anticipate what your staff and students will need and want. (Just by listening to you in class and reading your blog entries, I can see you becoming more and more proactive and ready for more and more of their questions even before they know what they are going to want and need.) It's so nice to hear that the district is adopting the Big6 more and more. I also agree that having and knowing our standards is so important (on many levels). Letting administrators and other staff members know about your standards will be very enlightening for them....and helpful to your cause in the library, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you made a good point about making a connection to what is being taught in your district across grade levels. By making that connection, you will be able to see what is being missed as well as what is being focused on too much across the board.

    ReplyDelete